Monday, June 21, 2010

The Point.

So I've never had a blog.. and I really didn't intend to start one until my roommate Rebecca encouraged me to do so.
The point of this blog is to inform family and friends of whats going on during my stay in Cherokee, North Carolina. I really don't think I'll have the time to write daily.. but I'll do my best.
The internship I applied for is with Mission to the World, a Christian organization that sends volunteers of all ages to preach the name of Jesus. This is actually my third week on the reservation.. and yes, I know that I started a wee bit late on this. It has been pretty crazy around here though. (I kinda hate grammar.. so don't expect much of it)

I pretty much spent my first two weeks in Cherokee working with one week teams of volunteers from all around the country.. they have various jobs in the community, mostly construction and to run vbs programs for local kids. Thus far I have worked with..

-Kaledoscope day care-which ministers to children under the age of 6
-Snowbird senior center- cleared a walking trail with a team from Georgia (which I have to note was the hardest thing I've done here! The senior citizens wanted their trail to run through the forest.... we chopped down pretty thick pine and spruce trees.)
-BIG-Y VBS- a team from Orlando at a vbs
-Sam Otter-a few diff groups shingled a roof and added a room on the house a local Cherokee believer, named Sam Otter
-BIG Cove Day Care- played games with the kids and took them to "the Village" (a reenactment of what the lives of the Cherokee people looked like before the settlers came to America)
-Bird Town Youth Center- This place was awesome! A four year old little girl confirmed her faith in Jesus after a Bible study the day I was there. We also took the kids to the river to swim :)

And for Leisure...
-Went Swimming in the Oconaluftee River
-Painted my bathroom dancing waters blue
-Went to a couple local Cherokee art festivals
-A performance called "Unto These Hills"
-And.. saw Robin Hood

As of right now.. Today was the start of a new program called Camp Week. There was over 60 kids! I was with the HS girls team.. I'll write about it tomorrow though. I'm expected at breakfast at 7AM

Emily

1 comment:

  1. Wish you the best. It looks like an awesome experience. I'm sure it will be of great blessing for you!

    ReplyDelete

Followers